Wednesday, February 23, 2022

True American: 2022 Edition

The Olympics were over on Sunday. And then, Monday was Presidents Day! Around here, we always celebrate with a game of True American (which I sort of-partly invented years ago), and a special President's Day dinner. It was a good reason not to be sad about putting away the medal stand and clearing the chalkboard. I had another reason to take it down, because I had something else to put up. 

If you click on the True American link, you can see how we play this game (it's changed a bit since it was first invented). But, basically, you have to guess the president that you randomly draw. Listing them out help the boys, since it has been a few years since we all did the President's project (at least for some of us, Hayden and I revisted the project in 2020.) 

But this time instead of just listing them, I made Presidential categories for groups of them. It's more fun than asking number questions. Instead you get to be like 'is this a facial hair guy?' Now, I'm not saying those are the ONLY presidents with facial hair (or lord knows the only conspiracy guys or war guys or drama guys.. but you get the point). 


The top pf the tower was filled with Jones Soda. Apparently, Greenwise has them! I got one of each flavor they carry, so whoever got there first got first pick. 


The rest of the tower was filled with snacks leftover from the Olympics, as well as candy left over from the medals. 


And of course, we all had our buzzers, our headbandz, and our "shots" (prohibition cocktails, aka sprite and cherry juice). Asa has normal shots, and sometimes now, Calib does too. But he had to go to work like right after we were done playing. 


Of course, the dogs love True American for the pillows on the floor, so you don't fall in the hot lava. 


And then we have our corner of shame. It's where you have to go if you can't name two facts about the random president you have on your head, after you guess who he is, of course. Calib was the only one who had to go to the corner this time. But, to be fair, he did have Franklin Pierce. I mean, I can certainly name TWO facts about Franklin Pierce. But, I get it. 


He rallied though. Sort of. He did finish last. Asa, however, started the game, so we did have a rotation. If you finish all four presidents and get to the top in the same rotation as someone else, you have to rock paper scissors for who gets to pick the Jones Soda first. 


But, Hayden finished one full rotation before the rest of us! He was the winner of True American, 2022. Which was shocking. I don't think I've ever been beat before. But, I was one rotation behind him, with Asa and Peyton. 


Still, a fun game of True American, as always. 


Now, we didn't have our usual presidents day meal of Nancy Reagan Mac and Cheese on President's Day, because Calib had to close, and we thought it would be mean to do it without him. So, instead we had our dinner on Tuesday evening. The winner of the President's Day True American game always gets to eat off the one piece of White House china I have. (I would love, however, more! Especially James Polk's- his is pretty). But, a few years ago we found this plate- a replica from the Benjamin Harrison White House- at the state fair, and my mom bought it for me. 


Of course with dinner we also had some more prohibition cocktails. 


Our traditional President's Day meal always includes Nancy Reagan Mac and Cheese, Calvin Coolidge Carrots, Lincoln Apples (I think- lots of presidents had apples as their favorite thing), and white rolls, a James Garfield favorite. 


It was the first time someone other than me, got to eat off the Benjamin Harrison plate (which was designed by his artist wife, Caroline, by the way- and it features corn because Harrison was a big fan- they did live in Ohio/Indiana, where as we all know, corn is everywhere). 


And, that's it for Presidents Day. 

I don't know that I'll be back for awhile. We don't have anything planned for the next couple weeks, because the guys are all going here and there. I was hoping to squeeze in a trip to Universal, or a Florida Anniversary early celebration before Peyton goes to the UK, but we'll just have to wait and see how Calib's days off fall. 



No comments:

Post a Comment