Monday, May 18, 2020

Social Distancing Journal, Day 66

Today, Florida is moving to full phase one of opening.  Instead of listing it, I'm just lifting a picture to show you all. So far today I've seen that Splitsville (along with other various bowling alleys) and Sparkman Wharf are opening tomorrow. I could maybe  feel comfortable going to Sparkman Wharf on a less busy weekday. For those of you not familiar, it's a food court of whipping containers with grassy areas and various tables all outside to eat at. Our library, which has been limited to pick up of holds only for the last week or so, opens today with capacity limits, and face coverings required. I could maybe go there and feel ok. That was actually the very last place we all went (to vote no less) 67 days ago.  We're still considering a reservation for the pool at our lodge later this week. They're going to talk about opening our gym during the June 3 meeting. Oh, and Gatorland and some other smaller theme parks submitted requests to open in the next few days too. Still nothing from Disney or Universal, though CityWalk partially re-opened last week, and Disney Springs will partially re-open on Wednesday (with the Disney owned stuff like World of Disney, not opening for another week). 

No photo description available.

So there's where we stand with opening Florida. Right or wrong? Who knows. Most of the places listed above I have no desire to set foot in. But, I'm an introvert anyway, so I don't miss people so much as I just miss doing things. Really, the only thing I miss that much is Disney. But I REALLY miss Disney. I also wish I could be hitting the zoo while we still have nice weather. And, we do have a museum pass that probably won't be getting much use now. Maybe we'll make it to some of the botanical gardens before that pass expires though. Those are generally great for social distancing with very little contact. 

Ok. So I started the blog yesterday, but didn't finish it. That's because our "fun thing for the day" was frog hunting in the backyard, and we had to wait until it was dark for that. So every night you can hear tons of frogs in the backyard, especially since the waterfall got put in. I love it. Asa, meanwhile, thinks I'm trying to circumvent the rule of no new pets by attracting wild ones.

But either way, we decided once it was dark we would go out frog hunting to try and spot some of the frogs that we hear all that time. So we put on our headlamps and headed out. At first Hayden and I didn't find any.



But, it didn't take long before we came across a whopping 13 of them. Some tree frogs, some toads. Varying sizes. None of which seemed to be the least bit bothered that we were shining lights on them and taking pictures.

Our first find was a treefrog on the air conditioner. 

Then I spotted one on the hose. 


There were a couple on the chairs. 


We found a toad over in the grass by the planter boxes. 


And then we decided it was time to call out Peyton and Calib, who were also excited about frog hunting. It's hard to get everyone excited about an activity, so I was proud of this one.


They really were everywhere. On planter pots, and the compost bin, even crawling up the fence. 

 

The toads mostly stuck to the ground. Mulch, grass or dirt didn't much seem to matter to them. 

 
 

And then we found one guy hiding in my swamp hibiscus in the pond. He was my favorite find! 


So photogenic! 


In other news, Calib finished his last math test yesterday. He did have to take it at 8:30 in the morning though, so he wasn't super fun to be around yesterday (he moved to Fight Club pretty early) 


Monday is Asa's busy work day, but he did manage to squeeze in an after lunch walk around the loop with me. 


And while we didn't see any gators or turtles (it stormed all morning and was still cloudy on our walk), we did come across a deer! 


Stormy morning means freaked out Porkchop who spent his first waking hours shaking and whining on my lap. It doesn't make for the nicest, quietest morning coffee. 


The pets though, seem to be handling quarantine really well. Dipper keeps finding new places to sleep. 


Etta and Ellie sure know how to make themselves comfy on the couch. 


And Phenom is just being himself, but loving how much people have been around.


The rain, followed by sun, opened a few more of my sunflowers. 


And my trellis plant FINALLY has flowers! 


Yesterday was a Jones Soda draft day. They get really excited when it's time to open a new box and pick their flavors.


So that was yesterday. On to yesterday's tally.. 


 Most popular "hurricane snacks": I made another batch of dirt everyone has been fighting over.

Current binge watching obsession: Only two episodes of Upload left.

Most popular game: NCAA is about all that gets played on Mondays and Tuesdays, Asa is too busy for anything else.

Boredness scale 1 to 10: 2ish. I got so much done yesterday- Harry Truman stuff, cooked both meals, got the Candy Bar Election stuff posted, walked the dogs and the loop, did all the laundry, swept the floors, washed the rugs, even cleaned the bathroom sink drain. I was on a roll.

Frozen II Watchthroughs: 35. We also watched Frozen I yesterday.

How many times we've walked the loop: 52. Pretty good for not keeping track the first three weeks.

Days Down: 66.

Days Remaining: Undetermined. But we've got 13 more days of this until Calib's birthday and we're going to try and got out then (to the beach, while practicing social distancing of course).





No comments:

Post a Comment