Thursday, April 2, 2020

Social Distancing Journal, Day 20

Well, in world news tonight, we've hit over a million cases. The US accounts for nearly 1/4 of that. Florida is up to 9,000 cases, Disney is furloughing it's workers after April 19, and the Democratic convention was moved. Those two cruise ships are docking in Florida, so those poor people who have been on those ships since March 7, can finally get off, so that's good news. 

Remember how yesterday I was excited we were finally getting a stay at home order, to go into effect tonight? Well, the Governor issued a clarification today, saying his order supseeds all the local orders. And his order doesn't shut down churches. They can go ahead and hold services if they want. So that Tampa minister that was arrested, could go ahead and hold a service with 500 people again this week to zero consequence. Ron DeSantis is an idiot. 

On the home front, I think Thursdays and Fridays are hard for adjusting. Asa is done by noon, and that's usually when we're out running errands, or going to Disney, or doing anything out and about, really. So, that's probably when I miss leaving the house the most. 

But you know who doesn't mind us not leaving the house? Etta. She was very cuddly this morning. 


Asa did have time to go dog walking with me today too. But holy geez, there were a lot of people out today, and Porkchop has taken to barking at all of them. I kept telling Porkchop to stop as we were walking past some guy probably about my age, and when he heard me say "Porkchop", he was just like "thats an amazing name." 90s kids know whats up. (In case you were unaware, Porkchop is named for the dog in the cartoon Doug). 


We had lunch outside.  Just lentils and cauliflower rice. But that's a good go to for me when I know I'm having a high-calorie dinner. Hayden, being 14, doesn't have to worry to much about calories. The weather was lovely though. I think it broke 80 today, but still low humidity and lovely out. 


After lunch we realized it was time to wake Calib up. He wasn't thrilled about us bugging him though. 


So, I'm not entirely sure what has been eating my squash, but today, we discovered a toad had made it's home in the dirt below the plant. So if it's a bug, hopefully he can eat the bugs and protect the rest of my squash. Stay nearby, buddy. I need your help. 


A close up picture in case you need some help spotting him. 


Also, my orchids are going to start blooming again soon, and that's exciting. 


We did have an injury today. Ellie cut her foot on something outside, though I'm not sure what. I jimmied something up to kee her from dripping blood on the floor. Other than one little yelp, she's seemed uneffected by it. We did make her cozy on the couch for a bit too. 


Today Hayden and I recorded our first votes for the candy bar election, M&Ms and Sour Patch kids are in the early lead. We also did some other school work: Khan Academy, Finer Things, We Didn't Start the Fire, you know, the usual. But oh my gosh, unforseen issue of coronavirus? It's fricken hard to get school supplies I always get on Amazon in a timely manner. I mean, I know there's much more important stuff being shipped, so I'll make do. But, it's tough when I can't get some stuff for a month. And I think, I am not waiting that long, forget it! But then I think, I better order it, who knows what things will be like a month from now. 


Remember how I told you I was going to write something positive or fun we did each day? Well, we're already working on it (and have been since Sunday.) 


So today, Hayden and I made a cinnamon roll bundt cake. Now, I'm not a baker, but this was pretty easy. 


It did, however, not come out of the bundt cake pan the way we had hoped. But if you slice it and dump some frosting on it, you'll never know! It's like a cinnamon roll but not as dense. So yummy!


Asa and I did drive out to PDQ to go through the drive thru for dinner. We told the boys we would do it, so out we went. It was weird, it's a little past Costco, so it's the furthest I've been from home since I think February 29th when we went to the zoo to feed the rhinos. Anyway, a lot of construction has been on going. Some places like Main Event and Rock N Brews went from a shell to an actual place with signs. Gas is down to $1.75 a gallon, and while less traffic is out and about for sure, there isn't no traffic. Every resturant has "delivery and take out available" signs up, and now even our Rec Center has baricaded off the parking lot, so people can't congregate there. We made sure to bring our clorox wipes and hand santizer with us, and I pulled really far away from the drive thru window, hoping to stay six feet away. 


We brought it home, took everything out of it's containers and onto plates and such. They had bogo on their tender platters, so we got 50 tenders, we have lots of leftovers, but they'll make good mid-night snacks for Calib and Peyton for the next couple nights. Or, I might chop one up and put it over a salad for lunch tomorrow. It's still a salad, right? 


The guys played basketball this evening, while I enjoyed the nice weather. It was almost a little chilly. 


Then Asa and I went on a walk around the loop, just to work off some dinner and get in that step count. Of course we saw lots of people out, there's lots of criss crossing and walking in the street and the grass to avoid people, but that's ok. Lots of kids playing basketball, and lots of sidewalk chalk. 


New tonight all of our parks are closed off with caution tape and signs. Even the picnic table and grill down at the park at the end of the street is blocked off. 


We did see a baby gator on our stroll tonight, too. 


But man, those ponds are LOW. Like, super low. 


But regardless of our nonexistant rain, or quarentine. It's a lovely evening for a walk, and we've got to be grateful for what we can do, and not what we can't do these days, right? 



 Most popular "hurricane snacks": Cinnamon Roll Bundt Cake

Current binge watching obession: Oh, tonight we'll have to decide between Ozark and Little Fires Everywhere. 

Most popular game: Animal Crossing. Peyton freaked out because Jake sent him cherries today. He's got a regular fruit salad now. 

Boredness scale 1 to 10: 4. I filled my day, but I was also just kind of ancy today. 

Frozen II Watchthroughs: 13.5 No new watch throughs in at least two days. Hayden and I will have to remedy this tomorrow. 

Trips to the store: 3 (2 Publix, 1 Costco), and two take out trips (Capital Tacos & PDQ))

Days Down: 20

Days Remianing: Undetermined. But at least 29 more! 







No comments:

Post a Comment